Sunday, November 20, 2011

"...you cannot find peace by avoiding life."

"The Hours (2002)" movie. Three women, one day, a connection.
The Hours Movie Review & Film Summary (2002) | Roger Ebert:
"I remember one morning getting up at dawn, there was such a sense of possibility, you know, that feeling? And I remember thinking to myself that this is the beginning of happiness, this is where it starts. And of course there will always be more. It never occurred to me that it wasn’t the beginning… it was happiness. It was the moment, right then."
-Clarissa Vaughan, played by Meryl Streep
"I can't fight any longer." Virgina Woolf, Here!

"Tuesday.

Dearest,

I feel certain that I am going mad again. I feel we can't go through another of those terrible times. And I shan't recover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I can't concentrate. So I am doing what seems the best thing to do. You have given me the greatest possible happiness. You have been in every way all that anyone could be. I don't think two people could have been happier till this terrible disease came. I can't fight any longer. I know that I am spoiling your life, that without me you could work. And you will I know. You see I can't even write this properly. I can't read. What I want to say is I owe all the happiness of my life to you. You have been entirely patient with me and incredibly good. I want to say that - everybody knows it. If anybody could have saved me it would have been you. Everything has gone from me but the certainty of your goodness. I can't go on spoiling your life any longer.
I don't think two people could have been happier than we have been.
V."

March 28, 1941: Virginia Woolf’s Suicide Letter and Its Cruel Misinterpretation in the Media

No comments:

Post a Comment