Thursday, August 30, 2018

Henry Marsh.

- Henry Marsh: ‘The mind-matter problem is not a problem for me – mind is matter’ | Science | The Guardian
You can’t have zero harm in a hospital!
Every time you operate there is enormous risk of harm.
Medicine is never about certainty, it is about the balance of probabilities and risk. And that is why we get it so wrong.
We are not grown up enough to discuss that.

I generally think it is very important in life to leave too early rather than too late.
Whether you are talking about a dinner party or your career.

I think there was a period where I was too self-confident and pleased with myself.
In the years before I got divorced, actually.
The divorce had a therapeutic effect on me.
My first wife behaved badly and I did as well.
We were both very silly and she was right to end the marriage.
I don’t regret it, but it was extremely painful.
The thing about that is that when you know you have failed and been stupid, you immediately stop judging other people.
You have been there yourself.
No one is immune from stupidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment