Friday, December 27, 2019

EU chief Frans Timmermans' 'love letter' to Britain about Brexit

'You have decided to leave.
It breaks my heart, but I respect that decision.
You were in two minds about it, like you have always been in two minds about the EU.
I wish you had stuck to that attitude, it served you well and it kept all of us in better shape.
Was it necessary to force the issue?
Not at all.
But you did.
And the sad thing is, I see it is hurting you.
Because the two minds will still be there, even after you have left.
In the process so much unnecessary damage has been done to you, and all of us.
And I fear more will follow.

'Truth be told, I felt deeply hurt when you decided to leave.
Three years later I am just sad that a member of our family wants to sever our ties.
But at the same time I find comfort in the thought that family ties can never really be severed.
We’re not going away and you will always be welcome to come back.'

No comments:

Post a Comment