Monday, February 8, 2010

Pieces of me

"I have earned a lot more and a lot less, but I don't believe that a specific number can determine happiness. It's relative. It's what your wages can afford to pay for. For me, as long as my wages can afford a home, buy nice food and allow us occasionally to go out, then I'm happy - and my salary just about covers it for me. I would probably have moved out of London if I didn't have my partner to buy a home with. I would never have been able to afford a place here on my own.
I pay £800 a month on mortgage and bills. We chose to buy a flat in Central London so that we could walk to most places and because there was no way we could afford a car here. I spend only about £50 a month on transport.

Most of what I have left over is spent on groceries. I can't afford to eat out a lot, but I'm lucky that I have a nice home to go to and enjoy being there.

But if I didn't work in the art industry -which provides a vibrant social scene and intellectual stimulation that I don't have to pay for then £25,000 would be a stretch.

If there was no social contact in my job, I doubt that I would be as satisfied as I am. Four or five years ago, when I was earning £40,000, I liked my job a lot less and needed to depend on distraction in other areas of life - which caused me to spend more. Also, I get to travel with my job as well as take two proper holidays with my partner each year, but nothing extravagant. But what also helps is that my social circle doesn't demand flash skiing trips when booking a break.

Earning more would help, but I would be naive to think that more money would bring happiness. I have always spent beyond my means whatever the job.
There's never anything left at the end of the month, and we hardly ever buy clothes, but we do manage to go to France on the ferry.
I have the perfect job: reasonable money and very little stress. Work is a very small part of my life." Full article Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment